Take an adventurous trip in the jungle or share the traditional culture of the ethnic groups and their incredible knowledge of the forest. The Smiling will do their best to customize an authentic experience for you and make you discover the beauty and the secrets of our forest and its people. We will always be happy to offer you free information and maps of Banlung and Ratanakiri. Of course we provide Ratanakiri classical tours “the Classics” but we recommend you to try our unique off-track experiences as in “the Thematics” that will make you discover ethnic traditional medicine and shamanism, or test your limits with “our Dirt Trails Adventures”.
A unique wildlife opportunity in remote Ratanakiri in Northeast Cambodia. Wildlife lovers now have a unique opportunity to see the incredibly rare ‘northern yellow-cheeked gibbons’ in their natural habitat in the Ratanakiri province of Northeast Cambodia. This rare and endangered species of gibbon was only discovered in 2010 and with an estimated 500 groups at the site, this is the largest known population in the world. The gibbons reside in a luscious protected 550 square km forest called the Veun Sai – Siem Pang Conservation Area. A partnership between local operators, Conservation International and the local indigenous communities have enabled the start of one and two-night gibbon spotting treks offering what is a very special experience to see these rare creatures. Read More..
- Easy ride to Katieng, Cha Ong, Kachann waterfalls or day trip to the 7 Steps waterfall.
- Ride an elephant in the forest to the waterfall
- Relax and swim at Boeung Yak Loam crater lake
- Explore open sky gem mines in Borkeo
- Take a trip down the Se San river to an ethnic cemetery famous for its totems and discover ethnic Jarai / Kachok villages on the way
- Trek into the jungle and sleep in the forest or in hill tribes villages
- The thematics
- Trek in the forest with traditional healers and collect medicinal plants
- Visit of Voen Sai Center of Traditional Medicine and its plant-based medicines production meet the team of traditional healers and get to know about their work with RAT-THA, an initiative of the ethnic groups to improve their access to health by revalorizing their unique knowledge of the forest.
- Collect plants, fruits, insects and trap animals
- Find water and make it drinkable
- Set up camp and make fire
- Use local resources as a first aid kit
Authentic experience: traditional medicine and shamanism in ethnic group
Our dirt trails adventures
- Ride Ratanakiri-Mondulkiri mythic dirt trail through Lumpat wildlife protected area and ethnic villages
- Ride through the forest of Virachey National Park on the sandy paths of the former national road to Siempang and Lao border
- Trip to Preah Vihear and Siem reap by dirt road.